Have you thought about what a big government contract could do for your microbusiness?
The benefits are HUGE. The federal government spends more than $450 billion in business opportunities a year.
But it can be difficult to understand a way through the challenges that come with these hefty contracts:
- The requirements can be confusing
- The government uses a different “language” and terms in their RFPs (Request For Proposals) than what most small business owners are used to
- The contract terms can be changed, or the program can lose its funding
Host Mary McCarthy talks to Jamie Rhone of McClinton & Roy LLC, which helps small and medium-sized businesses navigate federal acquisition regulations. Jamie worked in the federal procurement career field with the Air Force, and has directed multiple government acquisition programs and contract negotiations.
In this episode, we talk about understanding the game of government contracts: the rules, the costs with complying with federal acquisition regulations, and the consequences if a microbusiness can’t deliver on what they promise.
“The more you understand the rules of the game, the easier it is to be competitive and to win.” ~ Jamie Rhone
What You Will Learn In This 15-Minute Podcast
- How to navigate the challenges of bidding on and then executing the requirements of a government contract
- What you need to know BEFORE applying
- Jamie’s advice to an entrepreneur who is ready to work with the government
Mentioned in the podcast
Thank you to podcast sponsor GO-HR, a full-service HR consulting business in Columbus. It works mainly with microbusinesses, doing everything from hiring to firing employees, and all Human Resource Management services that fall in between. You can’t “Go” without HR.
What is a microbusiness? It’s a small business with 20 or fewer employees, including the solopreneur.
About our guest Jamie Rhone
- Federal Procurement Professional
- McClinton & Roy LLC
- Veteran Officer and Procurement Professional
About our Host Mary McCarthy
- Host, The Successful Micropreneur Podcast
- CEO, YMT Consultants
- Co-Founder of the Women’s Small Business Accelerator, Inc.
Mary McCarthy is the President of YMT Consultants, an entrepreneurial consulting and training firm in the Columbus, Ohio area. It focuses on one-on-one work with microbusiness owners (businesses with 20 or fewer employees, including the solopreneur), assisting them to monetize and create systems for their small businesses.