Small business owners and entrepreneurs know how hard it is to compete with larger companies to get the employees they want. Offering benefits potential employees want, but aren’t usually part of a standard contract can be a way to stand out from the crowd of companies out there.
Host Mary McCarthy talks to Kerri Mollard, the Founder and CEO of Mollard Consulting, a microbusiness that helps nonprofits raise money, as well as plan and operate more effectively through board governance. Kerri had always used subcontractors in her business, but in 2015 she hired her first full-time employee. Six months later, Mollard Consulting had 5 full-time employees.
“The fear and anxiety as a small business owner, thinking about adding employees with payroll and workers’ comp, and health insurance, and all the benefits… for me, it just felt like the Grand Canyon to go from a subcontractor to that employee relationship. Like, how would I ever afford that? How would I ever take on that responsibility?” ~ Kerri Mollard
Starting out, Kerri says the salaries she offered were low compared to the going rate with most companies. But a generous paid time off policy, profit-sharing perks, and several other “out-of-the-box” benefits prompted her earliest employees to sign with her. Mary and Kerri talk in length about those benefits in the podcast. Kerri says it’s made a significant impact on her consulting business.
“Grow the business with me and we will all share in the rewards of that effort. And that was huge.” ~ Kerri Mollard
What You Will Learn in this 16 Minute Podcast:
- How to overcome the fear of hiring your first employee
- The advantages of hiring employees vs independent contractors or subcontractors
- Specific details of the creative benefits Kerri uses to show employees how much she values them
- Future benefits Kerri wants to add to employee contracts and ideas you can use in your business
Guest: Kerri Mollard
- Founder and CEO, Mollard Consulting
Host: Mary McCarthy
- Host, The Successful Micropreneur Podcast
- President of Your Management Team, Inc.
- Co-Founder of the Women’s Small Business Accelerator, Inc.
Mary McCarthy is the President of YMT Consultants, an entrepreneurial consulting and training firm in Westerville, Ohio in the Columbus area. It focuses on one-on-one work with microbusiness owners (businesses with 20 or fewer employees, including the solopreneur), assisting them to monetize and create systems for their small businesses.